Monday, August 13, 2007

Are you a good cook?


Every so often I like to play around with Blogthings. I came across this one about cooking.

I love food and come from a family of very good cooks. I learned most of what I know through osmosis - hanging around watching and helping my grandmother and aunts cook.

We (the womenfolk) had great cooking marathons for special occasions. My aunts and female cousins, led by my grandmother, would cram into the kitchen and cook from morning 'til night to make pastries, dumplings and other goodies for Christmas, New Years (twice, because we celebrated both western and Chinese), Easter, important birthdays - really any time the extended family expected to gather.

It was for socializing as much as it was for cooking. I miss those days. Now, most of the aunts have died, grandma is gone, and the cousins are scattered all over. The closest thing to this type of gathering is when I do Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner and my family gathers around the kitchen while I cook. It's not the same.

When it comes to everyday cooking, I'm sometimes inspired, quite often lazy. I seldom follow recipes exactly and my idea of planning a meal is sticking my head in the fridge to see what's available, then winging it. I was curious to see what Blogthings would say.

My Blogthings result:

You Are an Excellent Cook

You're a top cook, but you weren't born that way. It's taken a lot of practice, a lot of experimenting, and a lot of learning.
It's likely that you have what it takes to be a top chef, should you have the desire...


I don't think I agree with the chef thing. I'd much rather dine at a fine restaurant than cook in one.

If you'd like to try this Blogthing, click on the "Are You A Good Cook? line above.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a good cook -- when I decide to do so. Living alone plays hell with my desire to cook!