Thursday, January 24, 2008

Canadian Figure Skating Championships - new men's title to Patrick Chan


I spent the better part of last week and all of the weekend at the Canadian Figure Skating Championships held in Vancouver. I've been a figure skating fan for over forty years and this was the first time I've been able to attend a national championship from start to finish.

There were many highlights, but the biggest and best was Patrick Chan's long program that won him the men's title. It was one of the most thrilling, goose-bump inducing live programs I've seen. By the time he got to his final footwork sequence with about a minute to go, the crowd was cheering and clapping. By his final spin, everyone stood in a great surge.

He's barely seventeen (his birthday was on December 31st), but doesn't skate like it. It's the first time I've seen him skate live and I was blown away by the quality of his skating, his musicality and maturity. I hope he joins the ranks of other Canadian men like Donald Jackson, Brian Orser, Kurt Browning and Elvis Stojko who have gone on to win World championships.

Here is Patrick Chan, the 2008 Canadian Men's Figure Skating Champion in his Long Program:




The following is his Short Program:



The commentary is by Kurt Browning (four time world champion) and Tracy Wilson (former Olympic medalist).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How exciting! This is something I'd like to watch in person and plan to when I get a chance. They've had this in Nashville, but I haven't gone. I also want to go to Vancouver sometime while I'm wishing. :-)