Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Saga of the Roof


At 10:00 am:

"How's it going? Have they started yet?" asks dh on the phone.

"No."

"Well, they didn't say exactly when they'd come, did they?"

"No, I guess not. But they did say today, right?"

"That's what they said."

12:30 pm

"How're they doing?"

"They're not here yet."

"Maybe they had problems finishing the job from yesterday," says dh in a most understanding way.

"Maybe."

3:30 pm:

"How's it going?"

"It's not."

"Oh," says dh, knowing not to ask any further.

"I don't think they're coming today."

. . . .

And that, ladies and gentlemen, has been my day.

Well, that, and receiving delivery of my son's new computer, getting an anticipated order from Land's End, doing a couple loads of laundry, revising a set of financial statements, and updating my x365 blog – but all only coincidental to my waiting for the *&#@*&*# roofers to arrive.

I was all prepared for the dust and noise. I had my headphones and music at the ready to drown out any hammering, cursing and boom-box radio noises (I know this, you see, because my neighbours – across the street and next-door have both had their roofs done). I was even prepared to let them in to use the john, telephone, or get a glass of water. But to no avail.

Alas, . . .

They did not come.
They have not come.
Oh, when will they come?

Maybe, tomorrow, they will come.
Perhaps, tomorrow in a truck?
Maybe if we have some luck?

Would they, could they
If I pray?
Would they, could they
If I stay
Close to my phone?
Or just at home?

Oh please, make it soon
Or I might swoon
If it's not before
The next blue moon.


I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me, but I started channelling Dr. Seuss. Really, I couldn't help it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yargh!!

Your European trip sounds great! Beautiful places with variety and interest. I'm glad you're going. I just hope this roof experience works out well.