Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Boot Camp – a few last words


So I finished Survivor Boot Camp last Friday. It's taken me a few days to mull it over and get my thoughts together about the whole experience.

First of all, I didn't miss a single session. Twenty days. No mean feat for someone who likes to go to bed late and truly hates getting up early. At the beginning, I didn't know if I'd make it. The by-product is that I now consider getting up at 7 a.m. sleeping in.

I'm stronger, leaner, and fitter than I've been in years. By the final Fit Test day, I improved in all areas and even managed to lose a few pounds and several inches from my jigglier parts. My snug pants aren't as snug and, by gum, I think I even look taller!

I'm still not the svelte thing I was in my thirties, but that's okay. I'm impressed with the fact that I kept up to the thirty-somethings – well, all except for the running – and in the strength areas, surpassed some of them.

At times, it was painful – especially those first two weeks – as my body adapted to the increased physical activity. At times, it was a struggle just to get up and out of bed. Yet, the pain and struggle isn't what I remember most.

I remember having a great time. I remember the other participants and the sense of camaraderie. In particular, I remember Gail, a 67 year-old who was in her fourth boot camp and could run at the front of the pack with the young'uns. She was upbeat, fun; never, ever complained; and was my inspiration and role model. She's not going back for a 5th boot camp – but only because she wants to take Flamenco Dance class instead. She kept telling me that it would get easier. And it did.

I'm glad I made the commitment and saw it through. It was the jumpstart I needed to renew a more active lifestyle – something I'd let slide with too many hours in front of a computer and the TV.

I made such good progress in four weeks, that I signed up for another four week session just to see how much further I can progress. This time, there are enough registrants for a 50+ group. The over-fifty group is only three days a week, so I'm attending a regular group the other two days. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like to be in a group with people my own age. The trainers for both these groups are different from last time, so that will be another new experience.

I'm pretty sure that's as many sessions as I'll attend. But you never know. I think it becomes a little addictive.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder how I would manage such a thing.

I applaud you for even attempting it!

You go, girl!

Anonymous said...

So I'm sitting here reading your post, while eating pasta, chicken and white sauce, and I haven't done anything close to actual exercise since my yoga class in early 2006. I feel so guilty. But, in a good way. :)

Congrats on making it through the course!

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

Kay,
I'm sure you could do it. I think making the initial commitment is the biggest step. One of my main concerns was getting injured and not being able to complete the session, so I think you also need a clear idea of how far you can push yourself. Good trainers help, too.

Musing,
LOL. Ya see, I'm doing all this so I can eat all that stuff and not feel too guilty. At 5 feet nothing, every calorie and pound seems to show!