Saturday, July 21, 2007

Boot Camp and Serendipity


I need to preface this by saying that I've always been a person who likes trying new things. I get bored doing the same thing.

So it should be no real surprise that I signed up for Survivor Boot Camp. Now, lest you think I've completely lost my marbles, I signed up for the 50+ class.

It started innocently enough. On Friday (my day off), I was relaxing and reading my local community paper when I saw an ad for Survivor Boot Camp. I was just about to flip the page when I saw, "NEW – 50+ Class". I knew it was speaking to me.

I'm no stranger to fitness classes. However, in the last seven years, along with a more sedentary desk job, I've fallen out of a regular fitness routine and put on unwanted pounds. Most people would say I'm not fat, but I'm pushing the upper end of what a healthy Body Mass Index (BMI) should be for me. Not good. My family has a history of high blood pressure and stroke. Also not good. I'm at an age that family risk factors catch up to you. I knew it was time to do something about it, but I just couldn't get myself motivated. The Boot Camp ad came just at the right time.

I looked up their website and realized the next local class starts this Monday, the 23rd. Uh oh. I called the local number and asked if it was too late to sign up for that class. The woman said no, registration for that class was still pretty small. Okay!

Back online I went to fill out the registration form. It asked some health questions and had the usual sports waiver –- you know, the one that says anything bad (muscle strains, sprains, broken bones, joint injuries, etc.) that might happen is not their fault and that you can't sue them? Standard for almost anything you join these days. The only bit that gave me the slightest qualm was the "including death" part. I ticked the "I agree" box anyway.

So, as of this coming Monday, I'm off to fitness boot camp: starting at 6 a.m. for one hour; five days a week; for four weeks.

I hope to keep a little blog journal of how I'm doing.

If you don't hear from me, you'll know I succumbed to the "including death" part of their waiver.


No comments: