Sunday, March 02, 2008

Encylopedia of Me: Letters J through N

(Another Encylopedia of Me blog)

J is for

July
-- the month I was married thirty-five years ago

It was two months after I graduated university and one month before I got my first full-time job as a public health nurse. At the time, I had no idea the depth and breadth of my ignorance. I thought I did, but I didn't.


K is for

Kindness
-- One of the qualities I value most in others -- along with sincerity, honesty and strength without bravado


L is for

Lee
- my maiden name (The word maiden sounds so anachronistic. Is there any such thing as a maiden anymore?). It's the name I use for my writing and for my online presence.

In Chinese writing, Lee looks like this:

or more traditionally,


L is also for Luna, my mother’s name (a loose phonetic translation from her Chinese name of Lahn Oy). Hence, she had the initials L.L. – just like many of the female characters in Superman (Lois Lane, Lana Lang, Linda Lee, Lori Lemaris, Lara Lor-van. . .). I know this because I used to read all my cousin Bob's Superman and Superboy comics.


M is for

Macadamia nuts
-- Something I'd never tried before I went to Hawaii. Along with papayas and pineapples, macadamias are inextricably synonymous with Hawaii in my mind.


N is for

Nice
-- the personality trait - not the city in France
I’m often accused of being too much of this (i.e. “you’re too nice” or “you shouldn’t be so nice”), as if niceness needs to be doled out in moderation.

This is not to be confused with sweetness, which I’ve also been accused of, but of which I heartily deny because too much sugar can cause tooth decay.



That's all for now.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We used to trade comic books in my neighborhood, so I read Superman and all kinds. Funny that I never thought about how all those characters had the initials LL except for Lois Lane and Lex Luthor. Wonder why?