My Nights
If left to my own devices – no job or early morning commitments – I'd be up most nights until dawn.
I'm a night person. I like the solitude. I like the stillness. I like the wrap-around black coziness and the inky-black eeriness; the disconnectedness that sometimes leads to hidden and surprising insights to my soul. Perhaps, these insights were there all along, submerged below the surface of my daytime consciousness – unable to break through because of the noise and clutter of everyday life. I don't know.
What I do know is that those niggling, back of the brain feelings ignored during the day because I'm too busy or too pre-occupied, break out full blown at night. The solution to problems, so unanswerable during the day, becomes obvious and self-evident at night. Thoughts and feelings, long ago forgotten become unforgotten.
At night, all things seem possible. The line between reality and dream; conscious and sub-conscious thin and fade in those late-night hours. At 4 a.m. there's a surreal feeling of floating in another dimension while the rest of the household is snug asleep in their beds.
Maybe, late at night, I enter a dream state and only think I'm awake – in reality, walking around zombie-like. It doesn't matter. I'm convinced my late nights keep me sane.
Another Sunday Scribblings post
I'm a night person. I like the solitude. I like the stillness. I like the wrap-around black coziness and the inky-black eeriness; the disconnectedness that sometimes leads to hidden and surprising insights to my soul. Perhaps, these insights were there all along, submerged below the surface of my daytime consciousness – unable to break through because of the noise and clutter of everyday life. I don't know.
What I do know is that those niggling, back of the brain feelings ignored during the day because I'm too busy or too pre-occupied, break out full blown at night. The solution to problems, so unanswerable during the day, becomes obvious and self-evident at night. Thoughts and feelings, long ago forgotten become unforgotten.
At night, all things seem possible. The line between reality and dream; conscious and sub-conscious thin and fade in those late-night hours. At 4 a.m. there's a surreal feeling of floating in another dimension while the rest of the household is snug asleep in their beds.
Maybe, late at night, I enter a dream state and only think I'm awake – in reality, walking around zombie-like. It doesn't matter. I'm convinced my late nights keep me sane.
Another Sunday Scribblings post
Comments
I love night. Now that I'm retired, I go to bed around 1 or 2 and sleep until around 9 or sometimes later if I am up until 3 or so - take a nap later. It's nice to know that I can live at my own pace and enjoy it so much.
After all those years of being on the time schedule of others, it's wonderful to be able to enjoy night again without paying for it the next day.
Wonderful post - as usual! Oh, btw, last night I dreamed we talked on the phone and that it was something we were used to doing since it wasn't a big deal but comfortable. Nice dream. :-)
Joy, what were we talking about?
I think your hypothesis about the day clutter not allowing for thoughts to emerge just might be right. How can we really think clearly in the middle of the bus, mobile ringing, mentally doing a checklist of what we have to do? I can't ;)
I love the way you write, the words you choose, the way you embrace your night.
Now not so much. :-( But i hope that changes again next month!
thanks
now that I'm in the middle way,
I enjoy my power of staying up late, though the global connections I have have eroded my sense of night and day as separate conditions