When a sweater isn't just a sweater
Linda: Why don't you just get rid of it.
Jack: What?
Linda: That (pointing at his old rugby sweater). You said you'd get rid of it. You were going to take it to the thrift shop.
Jack: I'm thinking about it.
Linda: What do you mean 'thinking about it'? Either you are or you aren't.
Jack: I like it. It's not like I wear it when we go out or anything. What's the big deal?
Linda: No big deal. It just bugs me when you say you're going to do something and then don't.
Jack: It's comfortable. It's good to have something around that's comfortable.
Linda: And what about the new one I bought for you?
Jack: That's different.
Linda: What's different about it?
Jack: It's not as comfortable.
Linda: What do you mean not comfortable?
Jack: I said "not as" comfortable. It's broken in – comfortable – I can relax in it. It's good for lounging around – when I can't find something to wear.
Linda: You could break in the new one. Don't you like it?
Jack: Of course I do. I love it. It's my favourite. Just because I still like the old one doesn't mean I don't like yours.
Linda: You could have fooled me!
Jack: You're making way too big a thing out of this! Will it make you happy if I get rid of it?
Linda: Yes.
Jack: Alright then. Tomorrow. I'll do it tomorrow.
From Thirteen Prompts by Dan Wiencek:
Write a scene showing a man and a woman arguing over the man's friendship with a former girlfriend. Do not mention the girlfriend, the man, the woman, or the argument.
Comments
I read you piece first, not knowing the prompt. After I read the prompt I laughed aloud. Very provocative. Thanks for the treat.