Memes?
In my short two-month bloglife, I'm learning there's a whole new language associated with the 'blogosphere'.
I kept coming across the word "meme" and "getting tagged" with a meme. I thought I figured it out in a vague way, but being the inquisitive soul I am, had to look up the official definition.
First stop, Wikipedia. Not exactly what I was looking for, but I got the derivation of the word and a nice article about memetics, genes, biological and philosophical analogies, propogation of ideas, language, viruses, etc., etc. None of it applied directly to what I was observing on blogs. Not only that, but I got side-tracked clicking on all the interesting related articles -- something I always end up doing with encyclopedias and dictionaries.
Next, a Google search. The first returned item was the Wikipedia article, but a little further down, I found this site that says, "Christianity is a 'meme', a mind virus that infects people and manipulates their behavior." Hmm, very interesting, but still not what I was looking for.
I added a few more search words and finally hit upon
A few more links, clicks, examples and I've got it.
Okay, so here is a meme I'm borrowing from Simply Coll, who got it from Follow That Star. As the two of them stated, it's quick and easy, but reveals quite a lot.
The Four Meme
Four jobs I've had in my life:
1) Cannery worker - a summer job, paid 85 cents/hour sorting green beans
2) Waitress - working part-time at my uncle's restaurant
3) Nurse's Aide - another summer job
4) Public Health Nurse, Community Health Nurse
Four Movies that I could watch over and over:
1) Jaws
2) The Shawshank Redemption
3) The Joy Luck Club
4) Glory
Four Places I have lived:
1) New Westminster, BC
2) Burnaby, BC
3) Toronto, Ontario
4) Vancouver, BC
Four places I have been on vacation:
1) New York City
2) Hawaii
3) Mexico
4) French Polynesia
Four Websites I visit daily
1) The Book Forum
2) My webmail addresses
3) Most of the links on my blogroll
- but that's changing cause I'm trying out a new tracking system.
4) Sitemeter - to see who's visited
Four of my favorite foods:
1) Sashimi/Sushi - any and all. I'll try just about anything, no matter how exotic.
2) Roast turkey
3) Prime rib, medium rare - As a treat when dining out because I'm cutting down on red meats, in general.
4) Rocky Road ice-cream
Four places I would rather be:
1) Hawaii - on a beach, reading
2) Moorea - snorkelling
3) Whistler, BC - skiing on soft-packed powder
4) Kona, Hawaii - watching the sunset
Anyone else game?
I kept coming across the word "meme" and "getting tagged" with a meme. I thought I figured it out in a vague way, but being the inquisitive soul I am, had to look up the official definition.
First stop, Wikipedia. Not exactly what I was looking for, but I got the derivation of the word and a nice article about memetics, genes, biological and philosophical analogies, propogation of ideas, language, viruses, etc., etc. None of it applied directly to what I was observing on blogs. Not only that, but I got side-tracked clicking on all the interesting related articles -- something I always end up doing with encyclopedias and dictionaries.
Next, a Google search. The first returned item was the Wikipedia article, but a little further down, I found this site that says, "Christianity is a 'meme', a mind virus that infects people and manipulates their behavior." Hmm, very interesting, but still not what I was looking for.
I added a few more search words and finally hit upon
About.com's definition of meme:
Pronunciation: meem
Also Known As: ideas; writing prompts; community projects
Common Misspellings: mem, meem
Examples: Some bloggers enjoy writing blog content using memes.
A few more links, clicks, examples and I've got it.
Okay, so here is a meme I'm borrowing from Simply Coll, who got it from Follow That Star. As the two of them stated, it's quick and easy, but reveals quite a lot.
The Four Meme
Four jobs I've had in my life:
1) Cannery worker - a summer job, paid 85 cents/hour sorting green beans
2) Waitress - working part-time at my uncle's restaurant
3) Nurse's Aide - another summer job
4) Public Health Nurse, Community Health Nurse
Four Movies that I could watch over and over:
1) Jaws
2) The Shawshank Redemption
3) The Joy Luck Club
4) Glory
Four Places I have lived:
1) New Westminster, BC
2) Burnaby, BC
3) Toronto, Ontario
4) Vancouver, BC
Four places I have been on vacation:
1) New York City
2) Hawaii
3) Mexico
4) French Polynesia
Four Websites I visit daily
1) The Book Forum
2) My webmail addresses
3) Most of the links on my blogroll
- but that's changing cause I'm trying out a new tracking system.
4) Sitemeter - to see who's visited
Four of my favorite foods:
1) Sashimi/Sushi - any and all. I'll try just about anything, no matter how exotic.
2) Roast turkey
3) Prime rib, medium rare - As a treat when dining out because I'm cutting down on red meats, in general.
4) Rocky Road ice-cream
Four places I would rather be:
1) Hawaii - on a beach, reading
2) Moorea - snorkelling
3) Whistler, BC - skiing on soft-packed powder
4) Kona, Hawaii - watching the sunset
Anyone else game?
Comments
I think you did a great job with this meme. I had no idea you were a nurse... so am I!!!!
my grandparents all lived in van. my gramma in kerrsdale(sp?) and my grandad and granny on dunbar.
my aunt still lives in the west end.