Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Re-gifting Gift Bags

Gift Bags

As I was doing the final post-Christmas clean up, I realized just how much the trend of using gift bags has overtaken the use of gift wrap around here. I took this picture of bags from this year.

I'd say 80% to 90% of our gifts came in bags rather than the traditional box and wrap this Christmas. We probably gifted with bags in about the same proportion. I don't know if this is true elsewhere. Maybe someone out there can enlighten me.

Personally, I think it's great. Our family has been using gift bags for a number of years and I'm glad it's catching on. It appeals to my sense of not wasting things and recycling whenever possible. Besides being recyclable, gift bags are reusable. It's fun to receive a gift in a bag that you gave someone else.

There is one bag that's been making the rounds in our family for about three or four years.



We have a joke that you're not really a member of the family until you've received this bag at least once. It's still in pretty good shape, don't you think? It kind of lends itself to all sorts of occasions, is appropriate for all ages and is fairly gender neutral. So far, it's been used for birthdays, Mother's Day, congratulations for ..., and hostess gifts.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am a fan of gift bags and love the idea of recycling them. I was never very good at gift wrapping .. so for me this is a good solution all the way around.

Anonymous said...

We do this, too, in my family and are like your family about certain bags. It's a great idea and fun.