Friday, January 30, 2009

Anti-Aging, an oxymoron


Yesterday, I saw this item about Suzanne Somers, Suzanne Somers' Daily Routine . . . on Huffington Post.

It describes Somers' appearance on Oprah where she talks about her daily routine of hormone replacement creams, 60 vitamin and nutrient supplements (40 in the morning, 20 at night), and vaginal injections of estriol. She does all of this in order to beat what she calls, "the Seven Dwarfs of Menopause: Itchy, Bitchy, Sleepy, Sweaty, Bloated, Forgetful and All Dried Up".

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking her cure is a bit of overkill. The cost alone, would be well out of reach for the average woman.

It made me curious.

So I decided to take a look at SuzanneSomers.com and see what she's been up to since her Chrissy Snow days on Three's Company and hawking the Thigh Master. It appears she's become quite the entrepreneur.

Here are a few things she sells nowadays:

  • The FaceMaster; a facial toning system
    "The revolutionary FaceMaster Facial Toning System comes complete with a 2 oz. bottle of the FaceMaster Conductive Solution, 100 FaceMaster Foam Caps, usage and general instructional manuals, FaceMaster Step-By-Step Instructional DVD and a 9 volt battery to get you started."

    And to go along with the zapper, you need:

  • FaceMaster Collagen Enhancing Serum with Peptides

  • Anti-Aging Skin Care products

  • Anti-Aging Serums and Creams

  • Cosmetics; including "Spray On Primer Perfecting Base"

  • Books; lots and lots of books (18) including these titles: Slim and Sexy Forever, Ageless, The Sexy Years, Get Skinny, Eat Great Lose Weight

  • Fitness Tools

  • Jewelry

  • Clothing

  • Diet foods

  • Cooking tools and dishes

So what is my point?

Ms Somers comes across as a very charming and likeable person and I'm sure she believes what she's saying. I have nothing against her entrepreneurship and making a living or encouraging a healthy lifestyle. I do, however, have difficulty listening and believing someone who spends so much time and effort promoting hormones, beauty products, staying skinny and who uses the buzzword, "anti-aging" with such abandon. Aging, after all, is a natural process. Anti-aging products seem like an oxymoron.

So, I guess my point is that we're all aging whether we like it or not and maybe we should think less about anti-aging and more about aging healthfully with some dignity. But, that's just me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you 100%!!!! Very well said!!!!

I just want to grow old with a modicum of grace and style and hang onto what's left of my health as long as I can.

Anonymous said...

It's not just you, Ell. Lots of us are beginning to realize that we're not worth-less after the age of eighteen.